Effective and Fun Upper Body Exercises
Photo © Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
Although the gyms are reopening, body weight exercises will always have a special place in our hearts, especially after doing so many during this pandemic. Tik-Tok influencer videos (#dancerarms has some amazing shoulder and arm workouts) and streamable services have provided more than enough motivation to exercise these past 16 months. Read more on our favorite upper body exercises we’ve discovered!
Tips: Do four sets of 45 seconds each, with a fifteen second rest period between sets.
- Angel Pumps: Place your arms out in a straight line, and pump your arms up and down for a full set.
- Tricep Pumps: stand with your upper body at a slight angle, as if you’re doing a chair pose. Quickly move your upper arms back and forth behind you, ensuring your arms do not go past your torso. Adding weights to this workout when you’re ready will provide more resistance.
- Shoulder Peek-a-Boos: Bend your elbows at a 90 degree angle. Open and close your elbows, as if you’re playing peek-a-boo, squeezing your shoulders on each open for at least two seconds.
- Prayer Pumps: Similar to the shoulder peek-a-boos, prayer pumps consist of keeping your arms in the 90 degree angle, and in the closed position. Pump the arms up and down (do not let your elbows fall too far below). Adding weights to this exercise will make you feel more of a burn.
- Commandos: start in plank position. Bring your arms into a shoulder plank position, and return to plank position, and repeat for the full set.